The Center for Uterine Fibroids is currently enrolling families in the "Finding Genes for Fibroids" study. This is a clinical research study, aimed at identifying the causes of uterine fibroids. This study has been reviewed and approved by the Human Research Committee at Brigham and Women's Hospital.
We hope that information gained from the study will provide future generations of women with non-surgical treatment options. This is not a treatment study. We hope that your generous efforts will make a meaningful difference in the future treatment of fibroids.
In order to be eligible for this study, your family must have at least two women who are full sisters and have uterine fibroids. Sisters with a past history of uterine fibroids are also eligible. The sisters may be you and your sister, your mother and her sister, two cousins who are sisters, or any other sisters in your family. Once your family meets this minimum requirement, we encourage other family members with or without fibroids to participate. This includes men. The more family members who take part, the more powerful our data will be.
You can participate from anywhere in the world; all study procedures are completed through the mail at no cost to you or your family. The study involves filling out a consent form and a survey and sending us a small one-time blood sample. The consent form discusses the risks and benefits of the study. We ask you to read and sign the consent form and fill out a medical records release form. We request only medical records having to do with fibroid diagnosis and treatment. The survey can take from 15 to 45 minutes to complete, depending upon your medical history. Once these forms are sent back, we send all participants a blood sample kit. The kit contains directions about how to get your blood sample drawn and reimbursement procedures. Once this sample is returned to us, your participation in the study is complete.
If you know that you are eligible for the study and you would like to take part, or if you have questions and would like a study staff member to contact you, please fill out the form below or call 1-800-722-5520 and ask the operator for 525-4434.
We hope you will join us in our effort to search for the causes and treatments for uterine fibroids.
There are many different ways you can get your blood drawn for participation in this study. Here are some suggestions for getting your blood drawn:
- Make an appointment to have your blood drawn by a nurse or lab technician at your doctor's office. Explain that this is for a research study and that you have a blood kit, instructions, and a prescription.
- Ask a local hospital or clinic if they will draw blood for a clinical research study. Let them know you have a blood kit, instructions, and a prescription. -or- If you have a friend or relative who is a health care professional, ask if he/she could draw your blood.
- If you live in or plan to visit the Boston area, you can have your blood drawn at Brigham and Women's Hospital. Call us at 617-525-4434 or toll-free via 1-800-722-5520 (ask the operator for 525-4434) to set up an appointment.
- If none of the above are convenient, call us at 1-800-722-5520 (ask the operator for 525-4434), and we will help you find a blood draw location near your home or workplace. We can also help arrange transportation to and from your appointment.
Please ship blood Monday through Thursday ONLY. We cannot receive deliveries on the weekend. If blood is drawn Friday through Sunday, please refrigerate and ship on Monday. Thank you!
1. Bring the blood kit to your blood drawing appointment and have your blood drawn into the enclosed 7ml EDTA purple top tube.
2. Put the filled blood tube in the styrofoam box, lay the sheet of absorbent material over the tube, put on the lid of the styrofoam box, and press the lid down firmly.
3. Peel the white backing from the strip of red tape, and tape the box closed, overlapping the ends of the tape by about one inch.
4. Put the taped styrofoam box into the plastic bag. Do not seal the bag yet as air trapped in the bag will prevent it from fitting into the cardboard mailer.
5. Slide the bag with the styrofoam box into the cardboard mailer and fold the spacers inside the mailer over the styrofoam box.
6. Fill in your name, address, and phone number on the enclosed list of mailer contents and slide the list into the mailer.
7. Seal the press-lock plastic bag, close the mailer, and tape shut (packing tape not provided).
8. Complete the "From" portion of the Federal Express air bill with your name, address, and phone number.
9. Tear off the top copy of the air bill and slip the bottom copies inside the plastic sleeve on the Federal Express envelope. Do not remove backing from the top strip of plastic sleeve (FedEx personnel will seal this top strip).
10. Put the cardboard mailer into the Federal Express envelope and seal the envelope.
11. Bring the blood as soon as possible to a Federal Express counter or call 1-800-GO-FEDEX to arrange a pick up. (The blood needs to reach us within 24 hours.)
12. Call 617-525-4434 or 1-800-722-5520 (and ask the operator for 525-4434) when you have shipped your blood sample, so we know to expect it. We will notify you when we have received it.
13. We will pay for all expenses associated with the blood drawing and shipping. We can also reimburse you for parking and transportation. Ask the clinic or doctor to bill us directly. If they cannot bill us directly, please send us your receipt(s) and we will reimburse you. Please include your social security number with your reimbursement request. (Brigham and Women's Hospital requires a social security number for reimbursements.)
Send all receipts and bills to the following address:
Dr. Cynthia C. Morton
Brigham & Women's Hospital
77 Avenue Louis Pasteur
160, New Research Building
Boston, MA 02115
The Center for Uterine Fibroids would like to thank everyone who has contributed to our Finding Genes for Fibroids study. By identifying genes that predispose women to fibroids, we hope to develop non-surgical and less-invasive ways to treat uterine fibroids. We now have 350 pairs of sisters who have finished the study! Please help us reach our goal of 500 pairs of sisters who have completed the study.
If you know of sister-pairs among your family or friends who are interested in participating, please contact us at 1-800-722-5520 (ask the opertor for 525-4434) or e-mail us at email@example.com for enrollment and study information.